Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Monologues

I've been suffering from stage deprivation. I had an audition yesterday. The entire day revolved around it. The night before I stayed on campus with Abby.

1. Find monologue. Had one in mind, but had to look it up to memorize it.
2. Realize you forgot to print out your damn resume.
3. Call mom. "Can you send me those files, please?"
4. Look up to the heavens & thank god she hadn't left for work yet.
5. Print resume.
6. Realize that the headshot file won't open as anything bigger than a thumbnail.
7. Pace & worry.
8. Realize it's on your myspace, you idiot.
9. Print headshot on backside of resume.
10. Realize the paper you used was for shit. You need better paper.
11. Head to the university store while you thank god you've got money on you.
12. Find that all the printer paper in the university store is crappy.
13. Decide to buy a damn sketch pad & cut out an 8 by 11 sheet of good paper.
14. Buy the only type of sketch pad left which happens to be BIGGER THAN YOUR TORSO
15. SIGN UP for an audition time. Let's hear it for procrastination!! I now have an audition time of 8:45PM
16. Lunch
17. Cut out paper
18. Print resume & headshot
19. Realize you still have to memorize the monologue
20. Memorize the monologue
21. practice monologue.
22. Worry & pace.
23. Pace & worry.

So I get the the CFA & go to the audition area. I go in & they've got my paperwork. Peter knows me & gives a cheery, "Hi, Ripley" as I walk in. Which throws me off just a little. Peggy likes me - I forget why - & has a big grin on her face. I don't even know Steve. First I introduce myself careful not to slip & give my real last name. For a number of reasons, my stage name is Ripley Morgan. Morgan is my middle name. And I say what show my monologue is from & careful not to do what John Glover called the "retarded moment" when he came & did that workshop, I started into the monologue.

I walk out & it hits me. It always hits me the hardest AFTER the audition. I don't know why. So, nearly in nervous tears (I seem to have improved away from nervous nosebleeds) I go have dinner on campus to decompress.

Today I find that I'm not even on the call back list. That puts me out of business for another NINE MONTHS. F**k!!!

So Eric & I are sharing our pain while we stand about outside Tower A & He & Lindsay & I are just talking about auditions & monologues & improv & we start giving each other scenarios for which we have to create a monologue on the spot. I told Lindsay that she won a contest & got one of those huge checks, but doesn't know how to deposit it - cause it's so huge. And it was great - my favourite part was definitely the last line. She slowed down & got kinda morose & went, "So now, I just have this big f**king check." We had Eric walk in on his roommate sleeping with his girlfriend. And they told me that I just got invited to a black & white ball & couldn't decide what to wear. I got quite a few laughs . . . it wound up being dirty & a little racist . . . but I got the laughs. :)

Then Eric did the monologue he did for the audition. And turned quite a few heads . . . we weren't in the CFA where people just walk by . . . they thought he was seriously chewing someone out.

Then Eric did the same monologue as Christopher Walken.

Oh & the other day, I shoved an entire line of peeps in my mouth. They thought I couldn't do it. :-D
Gotta love it.

No comments: