Saturday, May 31, 2008

The four days of abandonment plus a broken toe

So it really has been a while . . . I'm glad I made a list in my previous post.

The four days of abandonment plus a broken toe. Let me see if I can remember this properly. Day one - Thursday. No classes, but I'm coming in for a number of reasons. Rehearsal being the main one. So I go to rehearsal & all is good. The day before, I asked Will to come over & watch Love Valour Compassion with me because it's a wonderful movie & because John Glover was visiting & it was relevant. That would happen after the final meeting of our little playwriting lab with David White. So I went to rehearsal, went to the lab & as soon as I got out, contacted Will about where to meet him. We were pressed for time because I wanted to watch the movie & then get back on campus by midnight for shclevening. There's always schlevening on Thursday! Will texts me telling me that plans have changed & he's not coming over. So I sit in the car for a while & decide to just go home & hang about until 11:30 rolls around. I had already seen the movie so It was more for him than for me & he didn't make it to the thing that John Glover does every time he comes over to TU where he just sits & answers everyone's questions & we all kind of chat - so I had some interesting trivia to share. Oh, well. Abandonment #1

Before I head up to campus for schlevening, I talked to Abby who said she wasn't going schlevening because she wasn't feeling well, & John T. Who said he probably would go schlevening. But there are about 20 other people on the regular schlevening list, so I go up to Richmond @ 12 & apparently, I missed a memo. NO ONE was there. I stood in disbelief. There has always been schlevening on Thursdays . . . . I had been MASS stood up. Abandonment #2

Friday, I broke my toe. Fun. I asked how Abby was feeling. Much better. so i invited her to Largo Desolato & she said maybe, remind me later. So I reminded her later. And before I go on, let this go on the record - for SOME reason, Abby got extraordinarily angry at me once because I was bored & sent her a mass amount of text messages, each one with an inside joke. She claimed that her problem with it was that I was wasting MY money. Now, when I remind her - & this is all by text message - she asks me what it's about. And I send her a basic idea of what she can expect to see. It's a dark absurdist comedy about an agoraphobic writer. So she says, well what else? And I give her a little more & she asks what else, & I give her a little more.

Well, idk . . .
C'mon it's right up your alley
(mind you, I've been abandoned twice & I'm just looking to be a little social.)
Ok, sure. How much is it?
$7
Well, I don't have any money.
Do you have a dollar?
I don't have any money.
You've got quarters everywhere, I'm sure you can scrape up a dollar, I can pay the rest.
I don't want you to spend your money on me
Well I want to
Well I don't feel well.

COULD YOU MAYBE START WITH THAT PLEASE?!?!?!?! If you don't want me to go, lemme know! SO I dont waste my money in text messages begging you to spend some time with me before I go insane!! JEEZ!!! I was thoroughly upset by the way she handled that. Abandonment #3

So I hobble through rehearsal on a broken toe& I go see Largo Desolato alone. I tried Will again . . . asked if he wanted to see the movie Saturday. He said that he was busy & that he wasn't actually that interested in the movie, so just send it back (netflix). Again, why would you wait like that? I was looking forward to it. Abandonment # 4

The Saturday I contacted Abby again to see if she wanted to do something. Keep in mind, last time I saw her, she said she wasn't feeling well & she was broke. I had something in mind like keepinf her company since she was so sick - maybe take her mind off it. SHe said she couldn't get together because she was going to the Towson Town Festival. Somewhere I cannot follow. 1-the place is way too damn crowded, my sanity would never survive & 2- broken toe. Really not looking forward to walking all day. Although what really bothered me is her massive fluctuation in health from can't sit & watch a show to walking all day in a crowded place & then hanging out afterwards. Abandonment #5

By this point, I'm feeling like a lepor & have stopped trying to get together with anyone, but I wait all day Sunday for word from Irene. My second lighting project is due Monday & she is the actress in it. She said she'd be away until Sunday afternoon & I asked her to contact me when she got back. At around 5 in the evening she told me she wasn't coming back until morning!! That leaves NO rehearsal time & believe me, we needed it. Abandonment #6

So I asked Abby if she was free to perform at a certain time on Monday & she said she was. I begged her to be in my project & she said she would. And at one point there was a miscommunication & I wound up yelling at her over the phone until she understood exactly what I needed from her. She was with friends & wasn't free until 10 pm. So at 9:30, I was in the lighting room, setting up the lights & music. We finished with confidence around 11. Monday right before lighting class, I got snagged into acting in another lighting project for which I had exactly two rehearsals without the other actor in the scene. And the performance for the class was the first time trhough with the other actor. And of course, I have to walk on the toe for the scene - so it was pretty painful . . . & more on that when I talk about the rehearsals & the final performance of my directing scene, all of which were performed with a broken toe.

No comments: