Sunday, July 6, 2008

Happy Fourth

And a happy time it was. There was a party & grilling & we played on the wii & everyone was telling great stories & mingling in lots of different groups. No actual fireworks - we watched some on TV, but I think this was my first year without them. And interestingly enough, it was my best 4th of July.

We went up to NJ on Thursday & spent the night Thursday & Friday with Brian's family & came home Saturday. The visit really revolved around the party on Friday - we were making food & buying supplies all day Thursday & then Darcy took me to the set of a little online show where they filmed about 10 minutes of material over the course of an hour of screwing around. And it's not like there were a million takes. They were really just screwing around. But it was fun. Then I went back to the house & didn't watch a movie - I sat in the living room where a movie was playing & at one point actually made a decision that was along the lines of - "I can see the movie out of just this eye . . . ." & watching it with one eye for a few minutes before I fell asleep. I woke up for the ending, which luckily did not spoil the movie because it was historically based & I knew the ending anyway.

Friday the party started at 4. Wonderful food, wonderful people, wonderful conversation, crappy jokes that were still funny, & altogether a wonderful time. And, yes there were bad jokes. My mother started it: A guy walked into a dentist's office & said, "Doctor . . . I think I'm a moth" & the dentist said, "Well, why did you come here? You don't need a dentist, you need a psychiatrist" & the guy said, "Well, the light was on." & then Scott - Brian's brother - did his impression of a moth which nearly had me on the floor. He basically leaned into a wall & shook vigorously . . . & it made it somehow just a little bit better that on the way home the next day, a moth got into the car, pressed itself into the windshield, & fluttered frantically. Then a guy asked if we wanted to see Jewish fireworks . . . he lit a match & tossed it into the air. The next morning, we all compared stories because we were all divided & hearing different stories & seeing different fun things.Then we sat around lazily, watched TV, talked, & had a nice lunch of leftover cheddarwurst. Then we played the best freaking game of Taboo I've ever played. Which, you know, is not hard in that household. Any game that group of people play has a magnified effect of fun. I haven't quite figured it out yet.

1 comment:

RuthWells said...

Hey Ripley, send me your email -- I'm at rwellsfischer (at) hotmail. I wanted to follow up with you re: the Reiki, but I'm an old fogey and don't have an AOL IM account (which is the only contact on your profile.

: )

R