Saturday, January 12, 2008

Knit Picking

I've toyed with the idea for some time & I've even been encouraged toward it by others who've seen my work. But today, I've made the first step to start selling my knitting projects. I've ordered yarn for an afghan that I'll try to sell for $100 (which is a steal, really . . . the yarn just cost me $87 & we're talking 80+ hours of labour) & a lot of yarn (which ironically, I got from eBay & I'll probably be selling the products there) of 12 skeins (OMG) of 'plum' yarn which I'll use to make two sweaters a few scarves, & maybe a few pairs of socks. I don't know if socks will draw any interest . . . but they're fast . . . not necessarily easy, but I can make one pair in a weekend. And if they don't sell . . . . they're MINE!!

So, all I have right now is a plan (as well as one scarf already underway) but a plan is one hell of a good first step. And I am proceeding with caution. Another reason for purchasing the large lot of yarn was to work with a different brand. I am not a fan of change & I have favourite brands. However, I generally buy from Smiley's Yarn which is hugely discounted (you have to buy at least $40 worth, but for me, no problem) but they do not carry my favourite yarn - TLC Amore. VERY soft. Very warm. $6 a skein. The Fun Fur which I use for scarves is about $5 in stores & $1.50 from Smiley's . . . so it's a big difference . . . but Smiley's has TLC Heather, TLC essentials, but NOT TLC Amore. The 12 skein lot is TLC Heather . . . I hope it's wonderful yarn. I want to switch . . . but I'm really in love with the Amore yarn . . .

But I have a feeling I'll be doing a lot of experiments with yarn . . . not like it will do much harm . . . what I think is unpleasant can be appealing to others.

Also, I plan to wait until November to start selling. That way I can pile up projects, bill them as great gift ideas, & boost my Christmas shopping budget. (Although not a lot . . . the initial investment looks like it's going to hurt - I'll probably be pretty selfish with the profits . . . such as they will be . . . )

No comments: