Friday, January 25, 2008

Lecture

Oh man. Performing & public speaking are two ENTIRELY different creatures. One difference (among many) that I discovered today was that performing is my home, & nerves do not attack at home, while public . . . . ahem, excuse me . . . . "public" speaking makes me nervous as hell.

An old teacher of mine asked me to come back to my high school & speak to the seniors about college. So I did. Four times, I gave a 40 minute speech. And once in front of a very disrespectful audience. I now sympathize deeply with teachers who stop speaking & give students such a hard time for chatting. I specifically built the speech to be 40 minutes & could not afford to play the "I'll wait . . . ." game. Besides, I didn't want to. It was supposed to be, "I'm close to you, I'm on your side - I'm gonna tell you YOUR version of college truth." So I let it slide . . .

The teacher was THRILLED & couldn't thank me enough. So that's good enough for me.

Tomorrow, I'm getting up at 5 to get in the car & go to NYC!!!! Of course, it's 11:30 right now . . . . so . . . ummmm . . . g'night. :)

No comments: