Tuesday, January 15, 2008

This revolution kinda hurts . . .

The Wii, when it was pitched, was given the name of "Revolution" because of its revolutionary technology (btw, note the use of the word 'technology' & the lack of the word 'graphics'). The motions in relation to the games you are playing (the sports games) are very realistic. So you are actually boxing, swinging a tennis racket, a baseball bat, etc. Parents around the world have to change their old demand of "get off your butt & get some exercise" to "why don't you play outside" - a less subtle way to get them out of the house . . . because now the video games are exercise.

My mother is hurting her back & nearly throwing her shoulder out because she plays so vigorously at boxing & tennis. I pulled a muscle in my neck swinging a baseball bat - which actually I've done once before in a real game . . . caused me a late start running to 1st. The ball's flying through the air & I'm standing there, going, 'Ow.' Anyway, boxing is my real concern. It is by FAR the best exercise sport there is, but after a short time - like 20 minutes, maybe less - the tendinitis in my left arm starts to really yell at me. And god, I hope it's a flare up - it should have been healed by now, but if it was healed, then I just gave myself another 9 months of dealing with tendinitis flare-ups. Anyway, you'd think, well, 20 minutes of the really rough stuff a day, that's fine - in fact that's better than a lot of people out there - especially for not going outside & doing 'real' exercises. But once it flares up, I can't do it again for a few days. 3, maybe 4. That's why I had to stop lifting. And I was actually looking forward to going back again . . .

On a better note, I'm very very close to the weight I was at before I took a vacation from my diet for the holidays - & where I was then was 25 pounds lost & counting. So very soon, I'll be back to the count.

No comments: