Sunday, November 11, 2007

Productivity in Bulk

I was lucky enough to have the house to myself this past weekend. I don't work well with other people around. I tend to focus on THEM. And if they leave the room to go do something on their own - I'm lonely. But I only get lonely if they're right there leaving me alone . . . not when I've got no choice about being alone. So shoot me, I'm weird.

So without my mother in the house - she was off to spend Saturday in Philly & Sunday with Brian watching the Eagles game & the Ravens game - I had the house at my disposal. And any self-respecting college student would call up Jimmy with the fake I.D. & Michael with the kickass sound system & Chris who's in a band & have a huge party with drinking & loud obnoxious music & do a mad cleanup the next day around all the people still passed out on the floor. But I just don't have the drive.

So instead, after we saw "The Last Schwartz" on Friday night - & let me just say that it was the worst student directed performance so far; the blocking was awful, although having been called back for the lead, I saw who GOT the lead & the casting was very well done. I could not have done that kind of justice to that part. So after that, my mother dropped me off & left. I went straight to bed after a few painkillers (my wisdom teeth - or rather, lack thereof - still ache in the evenings) & woke up Saturday around 6 AM. I procrastinated a bit, thinking about a few of the things I had to do & then I cleaned until 8:30. I always feel good about getting up early & realizing how much I've gotten done before most people wake up on a Saturday morning.

Then I put The Simpsons in & hit play all & started knitting. When the episodes stopped, I played them all with commentary. Then I moved to Fraiser & played all the episodes on whichever random disc I decided to put in. Then I did Buffy. Then Quantum Leap. By the end of the day I'd made a scarf & a half. The end of the day was pretty late . . . 10, I think. And that's usually what I define as the end of the day, so I stopped knitting . . . & worked on schoolwork. I put together a paper proposal for Script Analysis & started an outline for a design paper. Then I did some design research on Fortenbras (we're designing the show) & passed out after I sent off the paper proposal to David for approval.

Sunday I woke up a little later at 7:30 because I'd been up so late & put in a Weird Al music video DVD & started knitting. Then I put in Pride & Prejudice which was a glorious six hours of background noise while I curled up in a quiet world of clicking knitting needles. At Three I stopped to eat. Then I knitted until my mother came home with various musical soundtracks for background noise. Singing loudly. My mother came home to see me lying on the couch right where she left me (I've been sleeping on the couch lately - actually . . . for a few months . . . is that still "lately?") & she saw the three finished scarves & the one I was just starting & was happy & impressed. I had quite the productive weekend.

But I'd better have many more if I expect to be able to deal with Christmas. Three scarves down (And today, I've made it two-thirds of the way through a fourth by knitting between classes) eight to go . . . & I still have to finish that afghan which is not even close to being halfway done . . . Yipe.

But the way I see it - this next weekend, I'll get at least another scarf done (on top of this one) I daren't expect another mammothly productive weekend like this one (umm . . . was that a word?) so that's 5 out of 11. For Thanksgiving weekend, I'll be with my father, so I'll try to stay occupied at all times - so that will have me knitting quite a bit & add in scattered hours of the weekdays, I should probably have two more by the end of that weekend - making 7 out of 11. Four more - that's not too scary. I'll have that many by the 17th when the semester ends & I'll be home all day everyday until the day before Christmas when we head to NJ - when all scarves PLUS the afghan have to be done.

I can do that . . . right? *gulps*

No comments: