Friday, November 16, 2007

Unwinding

Friday night. I'll never be able to see it as so many others seem to. Party night. Nope. Not me. I just want to unwind - relax, knowing that I've got two days ahead of me where, if I don't want to, I don't have to leave the house. And in some rare cases - I don't have to leave my bed (or rather - couch). Gotta love it. So, one of the flaws of sleeping downstairs is that if I want to get to sleep at 9, & my mother wants to hang around & watch more TV, I've got no choice. I have a few favourite TV shows, but other than that, I don't particularly like the television - the quality of the sound that comes from it gets to me somehow . . . it's kind of hard to describe, but I have to mute it during commercials - drives me nuts if it's on & I'm not engrossed.

One of the shows my mother watches is Ghost Whisperer. That show annoys me to no end, because I kind of like the concept & the plots grab me sometimes if I have to watch it, but I'm not particularly fond of the leading girl's acting & the way she passes on messages ticks me off. I understand that for television to be interesting, you can't just repeat the same thing over & over, but she does NOT accurately convey the messages from the ghosts to the people she's talking to. She changes the words around, sticks her own opinion in there & rewords things in a way that could change the meaning. If my dead family wants to talk to me, I want to know EXACTLY what they're saying.

And by the way, another of my mother's shows is Boston Legal, which I cannot watch. The camera-work actually gives me a headache. Have you noticed that? It's an interesting choice, they have the camera doing what our eyes do . . . it doesn't cut, it moves from person to person, it zooms in out out on little details, it follows people's hands, their gestures. It's an artistic choice, but I can't stand it.

So, I'm really embracing the unwindyness of Friday night . . . but I've got papers to write, plays to read, & a scene to write, learn, & rehearse. Oh yeah, & lots of knitting. My mother & Brian will be out shopping for people I'm knitting for.

The TV JUST got turned off . . . & the rest is silence.

Good night all.

No comments: